Think about how you want to help people and try and focus your blog topics to help your audience. For example:
- You could teach something – offer knowledge and how to’s
- Write about the latest news and developments related to your business industry or topic
- Include humour in your blogs or funny pictures or videos as a way to present your expertise or ideas and thoughts
- Turn what was a challenge into something inspirational such as overcoming something difficult or a bad experience
- Pay attention to what you are sharing on social media as well such as those tweets that people retweet or what people are liking and commenting on on Facebook. Perhaps that could be the material you should be blogging about. Every time you share an article or tweet or retweet a link, you are essentially micro blogging, so why not expand on that and actually blog about it. That way you can post that blog to social media or share snippets of it as posts – we will go into more about how you use your blog content and promote it future blogs.
- Also be aware that there should be certain things that you should not really blog about such as your co-workers or family members or those who don’t want their privacy compromised – unless of course it is an interview or they want to be featured and you have their permission. Don’t be negative and slate the competition or make fun of a sensitive issue. Be careful when it comes to controversial subjects and politics and be prepared for backfire if you do write like this.
You are the expert!
You are the expert in your field (yes you are!) and you can become the writer or the publisher!
Think about the questions people ask you and answer those questions with your blog. Those people will be typing those questions into Google or other search engines and you want your blog posts to be found for those questions and then help answer them. For example “what colour should I paint my conservatory” or “what is the difference between a business coach and a business mentor” or “where is the best place in Oxford to get a mojito”.
Whatever your business, try and answer those questions your clients or potentials customers are asking, as then you become a helpful and trusted source to go to or an expert in your field and people will be more likely to buy your products and services.